Society and Culture
- Def: all the accepted and patterned ways of behavior of a given people.
- Cultures tend to be integrated wholes.
- On the most basic level, a culture includes techniques
found useful for survival.
- It is, therefore, shaped by the environment.
- But it also means techniques useful for surviving in the society.
- Individualist Eskimo
- Sedentary nomad
- On a higher level, they provide a means of group identification.
- Culture facilitates group interaction.
- "How to behave" questions.
- Culture tends to provide a "view of Life" or to answer certain basic questions.
- Culture distinguishes one Society from another.
- Def: Society is a group of people sharing a common culture.
- The society is a group of people; the culture is the way they behave.
- Society and culture distinguish those who are members of a group from those who are not members of the group.
- Every society has a word for "insider" and "outsider.
Copyright 2016 by ThenAgain. All rights reserved.