- 1763: Proclamation of 1763 restricts settlement west of the Appalachians
- 1764: The Sugar and Currency Acts are passed.
- 1765: The Stamp Act is passed.
- 1767: The Townshend Acts are passed.
- 1770: The Boston Massacre.
- 1772: Samuel Adams organizes the Committees of Correspondence.
- 1774: The Intolerable Acts are passed.
- The First Continental Congress convenes in Philadelphia.
- 1775: Battles of Lexington and Concord
- The Second Continental Congress convenes.
- 1776: American Declaration of Independence
- Thomas Paine's Common Sense
- Battles of Long Island and Trenton
- 1777: Battle of Saratoga
- Congress adopts the Articles of Confederation.
- Vermont ends slavery.
- 1778: Treaty of Alliance between the United States and France.
- 1779: Spain declares war on England.
- 1781: British surrender at Yorktown.
- 1783: Treaty of Peace is signed.
- 1785: Land Ordinance of 1785.
- 1787: Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.