Chinese Treasure Fleet: 1405-1424
- 1405-1407: Zheng He's first voyage Ming Dynasty
- 1412-1415: Zheng He's third voyage reaches Hormuz
- 1421-1422: Zheng He's fifth voyage reaches Mogadishu
Portuguese explorers seek a route to India and China: 1415-1510
- 1415: The Portuguese capture Ceuta.
- 1433: Cape Bojador is rounded by Gil Eannes.
- 1482: Elmina Castle is built.
- 1484: Diogo Cao discovers the Congo estuary.
- 1488: Bartolomeu Dias rounds the Cape of Good Hope.
- 1494: Treaty of Tordesillas.
- 1497-1498: Vasco da Gama sails to India.
- 1500: Pedro Cabral discovers Brazil.
- 1510: The Portuguese capture Goa.
The Spanish colonization of Central and South America: 1492-1540
- 1492: Christopher Columbus discovers islands in the Caribbean.
- 1513: Nunez de Balboa is the first European to see the Pacific Ocean from the Americas.
- 1519-1538: Hernan Cortes conquers Mexico.
British and French colonization of North America: 1497-1600
- 1497: John Cabot makes his voyage to North America.
- 1534-1535: Jacques Cartier explores the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.
- 1585: The First English colony in North America is established on Roanoke Island.
- 1600: The English East India Company is founded.
Global Exploration: 1500-1650
- 1519-1522: The first circumnavigation of the global is begun under the leadership of Ferdinand Magellan and completed by Sebastian del Cano.
- 1553: Richard Chancellor sails to Archangel seeking a Northeast Passage.
- 1576-1578: Martin Frobisher sails in search of a Northwest Passage.
- 1596: Willem Barents sails to Novaya Zemlya.
- 1606: Willem Janszoon discovers Australia.
- 1642: Abel Tasman discovers Tasmania and New Zealand.